• Email
  • Print

Residential Regulations

Residential Regulations

The City of Fullerton takes pride in its residential areas, and works hard to promote and insure a clean and safe living environment for everyone. To achieve this, the City has, with the guidance of the citizens themselves, enacted a set of basic rules for everyone to follow. Called the “Fullerton Municipal Code,” these rules are designed to protect citizens from health and safety hazards, as well as establish the criteria which define the uses permitted in our neighborhoods.

The following information answers a few of the questions asked most frequently about the code sections dealing with residential areas. If you have questions about items not covered in the following, please call (714) 738-6553 or visit the Code Enforcement Division of the Development Services Department at Fullerton City Hall. Our Code Enforcement Officers would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

  • Can I park on the street overnight?
    • The Municipal Code prohibits parking any vehicle on any street or highway from 2-5 a.m. of every day unless approved for an exemption as indicated by signing. Vehicles left parked or standing on any highway, street or alley for more than 72 hours can be towed.
    • A neighborhood may be exempted from the overnight parking requirement by the City Council if it is determined the area has inadequate off-street parking. Click on the following link overnight parking for additional information pertaining to overnight parking.
    • Large commercial vehicles having a gross weight in excess of 10,000 pounds may not park on residential streets for more than three hours, except when mechanically disabled, or when loading or unloading property - i.e., from moving vans.
  • Can I use my garage as an extra bedroom?
    • The Municipal Code requires that buildings which are not designed for living, sleeping, cooking or dining purposes may not be used as such; thus, a garage may be used only for parking and storage purposes.
  • Can I operate a business at my home in a residential zone?
    • Home occupations are allowed providing there are: 1) no employees other than family members who permanently reside on the premises; 2) no direct sales; 3) no signs or structures related to the business; 4) no outside storage of materials; 5) no interior or exterior alterations of the home for the business; 6) no foot or vehicular traffic; 7) no more than one room in the dwelling may be used for the business; and 8) the business is licensed with the City.
  • Is it OK for me to work on my car in my garage?
    • Sure, as long as the car is yours or a member of your family. However, the Municipal Code prohibits anyone from operating a commercial auto repair business in a residential area. This means you cannot operate a business on your residential property in which you repair cars in exchange for any form of payment.
  • What basic guidelines should I follow in the upkeep of my property so I can stay on good terms with my neighbors?
    • As long as you keep your home, garage and yards neat, clean and free of health or safety hazards, you and your neighbors should get along just fine! What you especially don’t want to do is allow your property to get to the state where it could have an adverse impact on the neighborhood or on property values. Specifically, the Municipal Code states homeowners should take steps to prevent against having unpainted structures, overgrown vegetation, dead trees and weeds, fences in a state of disrepair or dilapidated condition, or the accumulation of dirt, litter or debris on their property.

Also keep in mind...

The Municipal Code requires residents to keep their property free of accumulations of trash, debris and weeds which can attract rats, insects and other vermin, and can pose a health and safety hazard for the neighborhood. If residents fail to keep their property clean voluntarily, the City can either require them to remove the material, or, through the City’s Weed Abatement Program, have a contractor remove the material and bill the property owner.