Fullerton, CA
Home MenuFullerton Fire Department: A Tradition of Service
History of the Fullerton Fire Department
Proudly serving the community since 1908.
On an April morning in 1908, a horseback rider raced through Fullerton shouting "Fire!" after a blaze broke out on the corner of Amerige and Spadra (now Harbor Blvd). When Anaheim’s horse-drawn cart arrived, the hose threads didn't match Fullerton's only hydrant.
Undaunted, residents formed a bucket brigade to save the downtown. This narrow escape led to a town meeting on April 17, 1908, where local businesses pledged funding to form a formal department. On August 10, 1908, the Fullerton Fire Department was officially organized with O.S. Erickson as its first Chief.
In 1913, voters approved a $5,000 bond for the department's first motorized engine – a 1913 Seagrave combination truck. As the fleet grew, the department moved from rented storefronts to its first formal firehouse in 1926 on W. Wilshire Ave, which famously shared space with City Hall.
To keep pace with Fullerton’s growth, the department expanded significantly:
- 1953: Station 2 opened at Brookhurst and Valencia.
- 1958: Station 3 opened on S. Acacia Ave.
- 1966: The current Fire Headquarters (Station 1) opened at 312 E. Commonwealth.
- 1968: Station 6 joined the line-up on N. Gilbert St.
Innovation & "Firsts"
Fullerton has long been a leader in California fire service:
- 1916: First resuscitator equipment in Orange County.
- 1974: One of the first OC departments to launch Paramedic services.
- Award Winning: Received the "Helen Putnam Award" for innovative use of cable TV in training.
- Technology: First in OC to use 12-LEAD EKG heart monitors, now the state standard.
In 2011, Fullerton and Brea combined command staffs to improve efficiency. After successfully navigating the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic and a changing fire landscape, the cities re-established their independent departments in 2022 to better meet the unique needs of their respective communities.
Today, Fullerton's six stations house a ladder truck and six front-line engines, staffed 24/7 by dedicated Firefighter/Paramedics ready to serve.
Leadership Through the Years
| Fire Chief | Years |
|---|---|
| O.S. Erickson | 1908 - 1911 |
| E.J. Marks | 1911 - 1914 |
| Joe Clever | 1914 - 1916 |
| Roy R. Davis | 1916 - 1945 |
| Charles O. Potter | 1945 - 1948 |
| Lloyd W. Eckels | 1948 - 1968 |
| Ray E. Eiler | 1968 - 1977 |
| William A. Houser | 1977 - 1984 |
| Ronny J. Coleman | 1985 - 1992 |
| Marc E. Martin | 1992 - 1995 |
| Steve Magliocco | 1995 - 2000 |
| Daniel F. Chidester | 2000 - 2002 |
| James Reed | 2002 - 2005 |
| Wolfgang Knabe | 2005 - 2018 |
| Adam Loeser | 2018 - Present |
