• Email
  • Print

Tree Trimming

Tree Trimming

The City's contractor, West Coast Arborists, trims City-owned trees. (If you live on a public residential street, City-owned trees grow in the parkway - the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street.) As per our contract, WCA follows a pre-determined, high-production schedule to keep tree trimming as cost-effective as possible. We are unable to trim trees strictly for aesthetic purposes. However, we will trim a tree if it presents a hazard, and we are usually able to respond to dangerous situations within one hour.

If you think your City tree needs trimming, please submit a request to Public Works or call (714) 738-6897.

When you call to request a trim, the City's Tree Inspector may go to your location to determine when and if the tree needs to be trimmed. A WCA crew may already be scheduled to work in your area in the near future, in which case the Inspector should be able to give you these dates. If the tree needs to be trimmed outside the normal schedule, the Inspector will tell you when you may expect the crew to be at your site.

How do I determine if it is City-owned?

On public residential streets, city-owned trees grow in the parkway - the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street. If you are unsure if a tree is on City property, call us at (714) 738-6897 and ask to speak with the Tree Inspector. He will either answer your question over the phone or visit the location to determine ownership.

Trees in Backyard

Trees and tree branches in backyards that cross private property lines are civil issues between neighbors. If neighbors are unable to resolve the issue on their own, they can try Dispute Resolution or contact an attorney.