• Email
  • Print

Processing Parcel Maps

Processing Parcel Maps

The Public Works Department Engineering Division is involved with your project from the outset. To help make sure your project stays on schedule, we will review your proposal at the same time as other City departments. The following information may be helpful to you in planning your project schedule:


As part of the review process, you will be required to hire a Land Surveyor or a Civil Engineer licensed to survey in California to prepare a tentative map. Engineering staff will prepare a written report containing conditions for approval. Those conditions may include comments on such facets of the project as required street layouts, sewer and water systems, and storm drains. As a condition of approval, you may be required to construct some or all of these facilities as part of your development.


Once the Planning Commission has approved your project, you are ready to submit a final map, reports, and plans for review. All reports, maps, and plans must be completed by a Registered Civil Engineer in the State of California.

Submit three (3) sets of the final parcel map, along with calculations, closures and a title report. The City normally takes up to four weeks to check the first submittal. Allow up to three weeks for subsequent submittals.

Submit two (2) copies of required studies and calculations (hydrology, hydraulic, water, etc.) if required. Allow up to three weeks for staff review.

Submit three (3) sets of improvement plans (street, sewer, water, storm drain and streetlight) on City plan and/or plan and profile sheets. If desired, a disk with the City formatting may be obtained. Allow up to three weeks for the first plan check and up to two weeks for subsequent plan checks of the improvement plans.

At the time of the first map or plan submittal an initial deposit/fee will be required to cover the Public Works Department Engineering Division's costs for processing and checking your plans. Additional deposits may be required during future submittals if the initial deposit does not fully cover the City's costs.

PLEASE NOTE: Grading plans are submitted directly to the Community Development Department. Community Development will charge a separate fee for checking and processing the plans.

Once the final map and improvement plans are approved, you will be asked to submit Mylar originals to the City.


The City of Fullerton is required by the Subdivision Map Act to collect several bonds to ensure your proposed development is completed and built according to City standards.

Your engineer will be required to submit a bond estimate for the public improvements in your development. This estimate must be prepared on a City supplied estimating form. This estimate will be used to establish the bond amount.

The second page of the estimating form includes cash fees and deposits, as well as a space that your engineer needs to sign and state the amount required for the cash monument bond.

Prior to construction you are required to submit the following bonds and agreements on City forms (see forms at end of this page).

  • 100% Faithful Performance Bond
  • 50% Labor & Materials Bond
  • Subdivision Agreement
  • Monument Bond
  • Bond estimating form signed by your engineer (stamped but not notarized)

PLEASE NOTE: All signatures, except the engineer's, must be notarized. Also the above documents must be accompanied with the required cash fees and deposits as noted in the second page of the bond estimate form. Must submit a cashiers check for amounts $5,000.00 and greater.


Once you have completed Steps 2 and 3, the Final Parcel Map may be signed by the Director of Public Works. Upon signature by the Director, the Mylar originals become the property of the City.

After the Final Parcel Map is signed staff will call the Title Company to pick up the map for recordation. At this point the City considers the map recorded and building permits may be signed off by the Engineering Department. Other department approvals may still be required.


Your project is now ready for construction! The standard subdivision agreement normally allows one year for completion of the bonded improvements. The Public Works Director may grant additional time on a case-by-case basis.

The same deposit account used for map and plan checking will be used for inspection of the public improvements in your project. Your contractor will be required to obtain permits for each phase of construction. Since the inspection fees have already been collected, your contractor will only be charged a nominal issuance fee for each permit. The only exceptions to this will be if your contractor will be working on an arterial street or will have a hauling operation into or out of the site. In these instances your contractor will be required to obtain a special permit which may require an additional refundable cash bond to guarantee clean up and compliance with allowed working hours and traffic control.

Once the public improvements have been completed you will need to submit a request in writing for a final inspection. As part of the final inspection for the parcel map your engineer must submit.

  • All required centerline ties
  • As-built improvement plans
  • A brown line of the as-built grading plan
  • A letter releasing the cash monument bond


A final accounting will be performed on the deposit account and you will be required to pay any outstanding charges. Any unused balance will be refunded. Normally bonds are not reduced as work progresses, but are only released upon final acceptance of all public improvements. Exceptions may be made for large phased developments; however, a reduction of the bond does not indicate final acceptance of the improvements by the City. Any and all of the improvements must be reviewed and repairs, if required, must be completed before the City Engineer will approve the final release of the bonds.


If you have any questions or would like further information, please call or visit the:

City of Fullerton
Public Works - Engineering Division
303 W. Commonwealth Avenue | Fullerton, CA 92832
(714) 738-6845

Revised:  ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019