Originally: Fullerton City Hall Location: 237 W. Commonwealth Avenue 1939: Spanish Colonial Revival
Presently occupied by Fullerton Police Department, this graceful three-level building with Spanish Colonial Revival architecture was originally dedicated as the City Hall in July 1942. The concrete building is “L”-shaped, with a three-story tower and cupola placed at the central corner. A sunken courtyard featuring noteworthy tile work serves the basement. This building, complemented by fine detail work, is the most dramatic of the several W.P.A. projects of the 1930s in Fullerton.
The Police department has occupied the entire building since construction of the present City hall in 1963. In a remodel of the building in the 1960s, the mural in the former city council chambers was covered over. Post-surrealism artist Helen Lundberg painted this three-panel mural, entitled “The History of California”, in 1942, as an art project under the auspices of the W.P.A. In 1993, the mural was completely restored at a cost of $80,000, and the room in which it is found is now used for community meetings.
The block-like two-story annex at the north side of the building was constructed in the early 1970s, and is not part of the original construction.