Location: 1530 E. Commonwealth Avenue 1930: Spanish Colonial Revival
This large scale, two-story house portrays a more austere design than is normally seen in the Spanish Colonial style. Only two large windows and four small ones on the street side pierce the simple rectangle, and the slight setback of the façade at the door does not interfere seriously with the geometric lines. The hipped tile roof and generous porch are good visual accents.
The house was built for Judge Raymond Thompson. Mr. Thompson served as the City Attorney in the 1930s, and later he was appointed to and presided over the Superior Court of Orange County starting in 1945. The property continues to be owned by the Thompson family.