Location: 520 E. Commonwealth Avenue 1929: Spanish Colonial Revival
The Spanish Colonial style has seldom been used to such good effect as it is here in this small, intimate bungalow court. Six detached one-story units are grouped around an ensemble of palm trees and other landscaping with two small fountains. The court is entered from Commonwealth Avenue through an arched gate.
The apartments were constructed a unit at a time, over a one year period. F. L. Humphrey was the original owner. No major alterations are apparent, and the property has been maintained in excellent condition since the current owner, Vincent Mariola, purchased it in 1970.