Location: 221 - 225 W. Santa Fe Avenue 1928: Brick Commercial
This brick commercial building was designed with an unusually complex façade that has produced a very rhythmic effect. There are really three separate sections, each with four narrow bays, within the 116-foot long facade. The repetitive treatment of the parapet and pilasters among these three sections unifies the building’s façade, even though there is variation in the design within the openings. The building’s “saw-tooth” roof with clerestory windows is another distinguishing feature.
The structure was originally used as a commercial laundry, owned by W. A. Cleaver, who also constructed the imposing residence at 519 W. Fern Drive. Beginning in the early 1920s, Mr. Cleaver operated the Sanitary Laundry at this location; this building replaced a previous structure in 1928. The Sanitary Laundry was in business until the late 1940s.