• Email
  • Print

Fullerton Dye Works Building

Fullerton Dye Works Building

 << Back | Next >>

Location: 227 W. Santa Fe Avenue
1922: Brick Commercial

Fullerton Dye Works BuildingThis one-story brick building, built in 1922 for $4,500, originally housed a “cleaning and dyer” business owned by John Noonan. Additions in 1928 and 1929 to the west brought the structure to its present size, and Mr. Noonan continued his dry cleaning operation here until 1936.

This building’s current disorganized façade reflects the piecemeal development and is the result of alterations to the original storefronts. For example, the initial building (at the east end of the present structure) once had a continuous transom window over a storefront with windows and a recessed entry.

Unlike most other brick commercial structures of the time, this example lacks a distinctive parapet.