Location: 147 W. Ash Avenue Ca. 1915: Craftsman Bungalow
This residence may have been constructed in the early 1900s elsewhere in town and later moved to its present location in the 1920s. The house’s two chimneys were certainly constructed at that time. The house may have been a “catalog” design offered by Sears, Roebuck Company or Aladdin Redi-Cut. (In the early 1900s, people could simply pick a house out of a catalog and send away for it; the house components, including doors, trim, and even plumbing, were packaged and transported, usually by train, complete with instructions for assembly once a foundation was constructed.)
However constructed, this unusual one and a half story residence exhibits classic Craftsman detailing: multiple, low-pitched gable roofs supported by decorative outriggers; wide eaves on all sides; all major windows treated alike; and a combination of horizontal wood siding and rustic shingles on all sides of the house. Plastered plinths with elaborate wooden posts composed of multiple brackets -- suggesting the influence of Japanese architecture on Craftsman designs -- hold up the main front porch gable. The metal grillwork (bars) were placed on all windows in the early 1950s – the only insensitive addition to the house after its construction on this lot.
The present owners, the Songs, have resided here since the 1970s, and they use the front yard as a garden for propagating exotic plants.