• Email
  • Print

Fuller House

Fuller House

 << Back | Next >>

Location: 150 Hillcrest Drive
1913: Craftsman Bungalow

Fuller HouseThis house has a classic Craftsman design incorporating two full stories – an uncommon feature for this style of architecture. Representing a very characteristic element of the bungalow style, the deep porch extends across the entire front and wraps around the north side; it is integral to the living room that surrounds it. The redwood clapboard is original, as is the solid oak front door with it large cut-glass window. The interior of the house is also intact, with extensive use of golden oak for floors, bookshelves, moldings, and wainscoting. The river rock for the wall and pilasters that define the porch is new, constructed in the early 1990s.

This house was the first built in the Hillcrest Tract. It was constructed for Samuel Fuller and later was the home of his son, Fred Fuller. Both men were instrumental in the business affairs of Fullerton’s early years of development. Sam Fuller was heavily involved in real estate, creating several of the community’s earliest residential subdivisions, including the Hillcrest Tract. Fred Fuller served as the City Treasurer in the 1920s, and later as a officer for various financial institutions, he played a prominent role in the city’s post-World War II development.

This residence is one of several on Hillcrest Drive that was built on the tract’s original large lots. The tract never fully developed as planned, and subsequent lot splits have created an enclave of housing that is diverse in age and styles. The Fuller House, basically unaltered from its original construction, stands out as a landmark property in this pocket neighborhood.