Location: 212 - 216 N. Harbor Boulevard 1905: Masonry Commercial
This two-story masonry structure, constructed in 1905 in two stages, has ground level commercial storefronts and a second story façade of rough surfaced stone designed with a series of multi-paned windows under projecting lintels. As one of the oldest commercial buildings in Fullerton, it is remarkable for its stone and concrete block construction – a departure from the commonly used unreinforced brick.
The original owner, P. A. Schumacher, designed part of the second story specifically for his residence – a large six-room flat with modern improvements for its time. Over the years the building has been remodeled several times; in 1993, an extensive rehabilitation of the building returned it back to its original mixed-use. Three large residential units now occupy the second story, with their entry taken from the backside.
The building, now in excellent condition after the work in 1993, is considered a successful rehabilitation, but not one fully restored. The storefront on the first story features piers that have been given a new veneer to simulate the original stonework. The decorative mansard at the top of the building was added with a remodel in 1967; the original parapet had an entablature feature, simple in design.