• Email
  • Print

Noise Complaint

Noise Complaint

Make a Complaint About Noise

Types of Complaints

  • Noise Disturbance (loud party, people yelling, etc.)
    • Call the non-emergency police line at (714)738-6800
  • Ongoing Noise Nuisance
  • Emergency
    • Call 911 immediately!

Noise Standards

  1. The noise standard for a cumulative period of more than 30 minutes in any hour;
  2. The noise standard plus 5 dB(A) for a cumulative period of more than 15 minutes but less than 30 minutes in any hour;
  3. The noise standard plus 10 dB(A) for a cumulative period of more than 5 minutes but less than 15 minutes in any hour;
  4. The noise standard plus 15 dB(A) for a cumulative period of more than one minute but less than five minutes in any hour;
  5. The noise standard plus 20 dB(A) for a cumulative period of less than one minute in an hour.
  6. In the event the ambient noise level exceeds any of the five noise limit categories listed in Subsection C, the cumulative period applicable to the category shall be increased to reflect the ambient noise level. (Ord. 2982, 2001)
  7. More Information

Exemptions from Noise Standards

  1. School bands, school athletic and school entertainment events.
  2. Outdoor gatherings with a city permit and/or license, public dances, shows and sporting and entertainment events.
  3. Public locations: Activities conducted on public parks, public playgrounds and public or private school grounds.
  4. Emergency work: any mechanical device, apparatus or equipment used, related to or connected with the use of machinery, vehicles, or work due to an emergency.
  5. Noise from vehicular traffic on public streets.
  6. For the drilling of water wells, the Director of Development Services may approve or conditionally approve an exception or limited exemption from the noise level standards of this chapter. (Ord. 2982, 2001)
  7. Other Exemptions

I've Been Cited

If you're cited for noise nuisance, you may file an appeal to City Council within 15 days following receipt of notice.