• Email
  • Print

When is a Building Division permit required?

When is a Building Division permit required?

Please take note ...
Regulations governing use, height, location, materials and design may apply to your project even if the work does not require a permit so please inquire before you begin construction, repair or improvement. Other Departments or Divisions may also need to review your project. Call or visit us early on to avoid issues later.
Zoning Information: (714) 738-6559
Building Division Number: (714) 738-6541

Our Hours of Operation

Building Division permits are required for:

  • Accessory structures - Gazebos, pool houses, carports, detached garages, greenhouses and storage sheds are examples (Storage sheds less than 120 Sq. Ft. of floor area are exempt)
  • Additions to existing buildings
  • Air Conditioners (new or replacement)
  • Arbors
  • Awnings
  • Demolition of structures or pools
  • Driveways encroaching on public right-of-way (also see Engineering Department)
  • Drywall/Sheet Rock
  • Interior remodel and installation of partition walls
  • Electrical Work - new, repair or replacement
  • Equipment installations and replacements
  • Fences & gates (see Planning Division)
  • Fireplace/Chimney Repair
  • Furnaces (new or replacement)
  • Gas Lines
  • Generators
  • New Buildings of any kind or size
  • Occupancy Changes
  • Patio Covers
  • Photo-voltaic Systems
  • Plumbing Work (new, repair or replacement)
  • Relocating Buildings/Structures
  • Repairs, additions or remodeling of existing structures
  • Re-Roofing of existing structures
  • Retaining walls
  • Satellite dishes and ham radio antennas
  • Siding (replacement or new)
  • Sidewalks encroaching on public right-of-way (see Engineering Department)
  • Signs & Advertising Devices, including banners
  • Stucco or Plastering
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs and spas
  • Tanks
  • Temporary Power Poles
  • Trellises
  • Uses other than residential occupancies such as schools and churches
  • Water heaters (new or replacement)
  • Wells
  • Window Replacement

If you have any question whether your project requires a permit, please contact the Building Division at (714) 738-6541