Location: 111 - 113 N. Harbor Boulevard
Ca. 1899 - 1901: Brick Commercial
This is Fullerton’s oldest surviving commercial building block. The structure was erected in three phases: the north half with a basement in 1899, the south half shortly thereafter in 1901, and the back added several years later. The building is known as the Dean Block, because it was erected for E. W. Dean, a prominent merchant in Fullerton’s early years. The Dean Hardware Company was a major business in Fullerton in the early 1900s and was recognized during that time as a leading hardware store in Orange County.
The building’s complete rehabilitation in 1997 restored the second story’s original features: the arched brick openings and wood framed windows, a decorative cornice line, and second story pilasters. Over the years the ground story had been reworked many times. The rehabilitation in 1997 created a new storefront similar with how the building appeared in the 1930s. On the back side, stucco was removed to expose the brick walls. Many of the original features were restored, including the openings for windows and the large delivery door that was used to bring goods to the upper level.