BICYCLE USERS SUBCOMMITTEE WORKSHOP
Council Chambers - City Hall
Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 6:00 p.m.
COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT:
Gene Hiegel, Chairman
Edmundo Duvignau, Vice-Chairman
Ron Bowers, Senior Civil Engineer
Bob St. Paul, Senior Planner
Jay Eastman, Acting Chief Planner
CALL TO ORDER
The regular meeting of the Bicycle Users Subcommittee was called to order at 6:05 p.m.
1.BIKE ELEMENT FOCUS DISCUSSION.
Introduce the project, discuss expectations, discuss the role of the Bicycle Users Sub-Committee, and gather information on concerns, hopes, and ideas for the project.
A presentation was provided by the Cities General Plan consultant and the flipchart notes were compiled from the public and sub-committee members.
Fullerton Bike Plan Focus Group Meeting
May 16, 2007
Flip Chart Notes
- How will it include other trails
- Funding sources for other trails
- Bicyclists who use bike everyday non-recreational trip
- Major user group of the future
- Consider re-scheduling June 18thworkshop
- Yorba Linda incorporates both trails and bikeways
- More meetings for bicycle community ƒn
- Ethnically diverse bicycle commuters
- Contact bicycle clubs/groups and universities, colleges, businesses
- Recreational trail user
- Different interest than bicycle commuter
- Fullerton Recreational Riders
- Trails named after members
- Against paving these trails
- Not best for commuters
- Keep recreational elements of trails
- Level of involvement of this group
- Inventory ¡Vhow to become aware of underutilized/less known areas?
- Terminology - confusion
- What is difference between trails, paths, bikeways, etc.?
- Paved or unpaved?
- Use pictures to help clarify terminology
- Concern about paving dirt trails to get Cal Trans funding
- New trails or improve/change existing trails?
- Bicycle users committee focus limited to bikeways
- Will General Plan look at funding for schools?
- Elevate safety as important part of dialogue and plan
- Are you working with schools?
- Safe routes to school funding
- Where is online survey being promoted?
- Article in local newspapers
- Contact places where there are bicycles parked during the day at businesses
- GPS survey ¡V is that just recreational trails or bikeways too?
- What are the benefits for the recreational trail users?
- Some trails are also considered bikeways
- CSF and Fullerton College out for summer ¡V may miss that population of bicycle commuters
- Safety issues
- Routes on/to campus
- Consider allowing window of time in fall for this group to take survey
- CSF web portal ¡V can post info there for online survey
- When will presentation be available on the website?
Public comments included in flipchart notes