Location: 400 W. Brookdale Place
1930: Spanish Colonial Revival
As a multi-level structure on a corner lot, this residence is an exceptionally fine example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture. In addition to the recessed arched picture window, the house has several custom features from the original owner. Two balconies, each wrapping around two sides of the house, feature a Monterey-style design with clay tiled shed roofs supported by post and beam construction. The top deck at the rear has been enclosed -- the only alteration from the original construction.
This house was built for Anthony Hirigoyen, who was a driller for the Standard Oil Company. The Hirigoyen family owned the property until 1958.
The house is Fullerton’s best example of Montereystyle Colonial Revival architecture; its corner location and distinctive architecture make the residence a prominent landmark in the Brookdale Heights neighborhood.