Location: 1600 W. Valencia Drive
1928: Spanish Colonial Revival
As one of the few grove houses designed in the Spanish Colonial style, the one-story residence is simple in design with restrained detailing. The house was built for Tom Gowen, after he acquired the property from the Schulte Brothers in 1928.
Mr. Gowen was active in governmental affairs, serving on the City Council and as mayor in the 1930s. After living in the house until the mid-1940s, Mr. Gowen sold the property back to the Schulte family.