Low Graphics Version Home | Contact Us | FAQs | Service Request | eLists | Site Map
City of Fullerton
Community Dev
Home ... > 1918-1925 Residential > Royer House, 1925
Shortcuts
State College & Raymond Grade Separation Updates
Downtown
Water Bill Payment
City Employment
Agendas & Minutes
City Services
Classes
Emergency Preparedness
Online Services
Permits
Public Notices
Royer House

 << Back | Next >>

Location:
1230 W. Orangethorpe Avenue
1925: Colonial Revival

Royer HouseThis two-story house is one of several examples of Colonial Revival architecture in Fullerton, but the only one featuring the gambrel roof in the design. In addition to the typical features of the Colonial Revival style (a front portico with classical dealing; a balanced placement of multi-paned windows with decorative shutters; brick chimneys at both ends), the gambrel roof in this instance provides the illusion of a continuous dormer element for nearly the full length of the structure. The single story solarium on the east end appears added but, in fact, may be part of the original construction.

Built in 1925, this is one of the several grove houses that made up the community of Orangethorpe. Max Royer, for whom the house was built, was considered the unofficial “mayor” of this small community, which for a short time was an incorporated city in the 1920s. The Royer family lived in the house until the 1950s.

Other housing along Orangethorpe Avenue is associated with the Lovering family, which owned much of the land in the early 1900s. When the area was annexed to Fullerton in the 1950s and the land subdivided into tracts of single family residences, two of the residential streets were named Royer and Lovering Avenues to honor the legacy of these families.

FacebookTwitterYouTube
RSS for Fullerton NewsFullerton eLists
Home | Contact Us | FAQs | Service Request | eLists | Site Map | Disclaimer & Privacy PolicyCopyright © 2000 - 2014 Community. Development, 303 W. Commonwealth Ave., Fullerton, CA 92832. 714-738-6547