COUNCIL CONFERENCE ROOM FULLERTON CITY HALL
THURSDAY, 9:00 A.M., JULY 17, 2003
| CALL TO ORDER:|| Chair Rosen called the meeting to order at 9:15 a.m. |
| COMMITTEE MEMBERS PRESENT:|| Maynard, Rosen, Tabatabaee, and Thompson |
| COMMITTEE MEMBERS ABSENT:|| Mullis, and Wallin |
| STAFF MEMBERS PRESENT:|| Sowers, and Norton |
July 3, 2003, approved as written.
INTRODUCTIONS - COMMITTEE AND STAFF MEMBERS:
PRJ03-00405 - ZON03-00007 APPLICANT: WAYNE C. SIU ARCHITECTS AND PROPERTY OWNER: FULLERTON FORTUNE. A request to construct a new coffee shop with a drive-through window on property located at 137 East Imperial Highway (northeast corner of Imperial Highway and Harbor Boulevard) (C-2 zone) (Categorically exempt under Section 15332 of CEQA Guidelines).
Dennis Kasa, architect, was present.
Assistant Planner, Heather Sowers, presented the request. The applicant is proposing to construct a dine-in and drive-through Starbuck's Coffee Shop on a small portion of an existing property (Harbor Place Shopping Center). The square footage will be 1,800 square feet.
Parking remains adequate for the Center, even though there would be two spaces lost --the path of travel and the trash enclosure. A traffic study was conducted for the drive-thru validating that a nine-car capacity is adequate.
The applicant is proposing to landscape around the drive-thru. Staff recommends the following conditions:
- Detailed hardscape; landscape, and irrigation plans will be prepared by a licensed landscape architect. Such plans will be designed in accordance with the "Landscape and Irrigation Design Requirements" of the City and will be submitted for approval by the Director of Development Services prior to the issuance of building permits, with implementation thereof prior to occupancy of the project. A one-year maintenance bond in an amount equal to 50% of the combined cost of the landscaping materials and irrigation system, but not less than $500, will be posted as a prerequisite to the final approval of the development and/or occupancy of the use.
- A six-inch high concrete curbing will be provided between all landscaping and vehicular paved areas.
- The location and size of the on-site trash enclosure will be acceptable to the City's trash contractor and its design will be in accordance with the Development Services Department standard detail drawing and finished in a manner that complements the building finish. The trash enclosure will be in compliance with all National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System requirements, and be covered with a noncombustible, solid, flat metal cover.
- Signage will be consistent with the Harbor Place Sign Criteria of the Development Services Department.
- Applicant shall comply with the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System requirements, including the submittal of a Water Quality Management Plan.
- All final Building plans shall comply with 2001 California Building Code and Water Quality Plan requirements prior to issuance of permits.
- For handicapped purposes truncated domes are required in locations at exits.
- The building address shall face Imperial Highway and follow specifications provided by the Fire Department in the plan check process.
- There must be either a City or a private water source within 150' feet of the building as required by the 2001 Fire Code.
MOTION made and SECONDED, by all members present, to APPROVE PRJ03-00405- ZON03-00007 (Resolution No. 336) as conditioned.
The applicant noted that the property owner is requiring a grease clarifer for the restaurant in the event that there is a change in use. The Committee agreed that this was a good idea.
There is a 10-day appeal period where any action by this Committee can be appealed to the Planning Commission and ultimately to the City Council.
ADJOURNMENT AS STAFF SITE PLAN REVIEW COMMITTEE: