• Email
  • Print

History of Fullerton

History of Fullerton

Olde Tyme Harbor and Commonwealth
Intersection of Harbor (then Spadra) and Commonwealth circa 1890
Photo courtesy of the
Fullerton Public Library

In early 1887 the California Central Railroad, a subsidiary of Santa Fe, was looking for land and sent George H. Fullerton, president of the Pacific Land and Improvement Co., also a Santa Fe subsidiary, to purchase land for railroad right-of-way.  George and Edward Amerige learned that a likely site for a town was located north of Anaheim

With George Fullerton's assurance that the area north of Anaheim would be included, the Ameriges purchased the 430 acres. On July 5, 1887, Edward Amerige drove a stake into a mustard field at what is now the corner of Harbor Boulevard and Commonwealth Avenue, and the townsite of Fullerton was born. The appreciative community voted to name the town in honor of its benefactor, George Fullerton.